Tuesday 20 August 2019

My stories for you


Matthew 13:10-17

‘Then the disciples went up to him and asked, ‘why do you talk to them in parables, ’Because.’ He replied, the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven are revealed to you but they are not revealed to them, for anyone who has will be given more, and he will have more than enough but from anyone who has not, even what he has will be taken away, the reason. I talk to them in parables is that they look without seeing and listen without hearing or understanding, so in their case this prophecy of Isaiah is being fulfilled.

                                                “You will listen again, but not understand,

                                                See and see again, but not perceive,

                                                For the heart of this nation has grown coarse,

                                                Their ears are dull of hearing, and they have

                                                Shut their eyes, for fear they should see,

                                                With their eyes, hear with their ears,

                                                Understand with their heart, and be converted and be healed by me.



But happy are your eyes because they see, your ears because they hear! I tell you solemnly, many prophets and holy men longed to see what you see, and never saw it; to hear what you hear and never heard it.’



The readings and Gospel readings for this week gave me a lot to think about. What was the message? What was I not seeing, hearing or understanding? I prayed and talked to God for knowledge to help me to see, hear and understand. Then I heard, ‘These are my stories for you.’ In our bibles they are called Parables and a Bible Parable is a simple story we use to illustrate a moral or spiritual lesson as told by Jesus in the Gospels. We as Christians are entrusted to go forth and speak of a Didactic Parable, which is to educate, to be instructive and informative. We might teach an Evangelical Parable, which is based on scripture and biblical. There is Prophetic Parable, which predicts what will happen through a vision, prophetical and a judicial Parable, which educates, informs us of justice, judgements. Each one of these types of Parables addresses the Kingdom, service, prayer, humility, love of Neighbour, God’s concern for the lost, gratitude of the redeemed, preparedness for Christ’s return, judgement and judgement within the Kingdom.



In the readings and Gospel readings for this week, each one of the types of the Parables is written for us to hear, see and understand. I once asked someone to sit and to listen to my story and they said “One day I will sit and listen to your story,” My hope in that ever happening has gone. If they really wanted to hear and understand my story, they would have made more of an effort.



‘Explore the Kingdom with me, it’s time for an adventure, you never know what is in a book or a story, until you read it. Every morning when you wake up, every night before you go to sleep is a great time to explore the Kingdom.’



I like the reading that ended with the following phrase: “Yes, there are those now last who will be first, and those now first who will be last.” I actually said this to my son the other day. My children always fight who is going first for the bath/shower, who gets into the car first, which one gets the yoghurt out of the fridge first or who gets a book first before bed. It frustrates me because they are now being competitive. I also like the readings that had the feast of Jesus and his table that he has prepared for us and weddings, wearing white and flowers. I visioned my wedding like I did when I was a little girl, being married In St Margret Mary’s Church in Townsville, than down to the strand for fish and chips. The other night I watched the movie Top End Wedding, I cried so much, I don’t know whether it was the music, the culture, the language but it made me realise our journeys can be self-discoveries of who we truly are and our journeys are our stories and just like the readings and gospels for this week, they all have a beginning, middle and end.



A few questions to ponder over;

What happens in your story?

What are you seeing?

What are you hearing?

What is your understanding?

I might not be anyone important in your eyes but I am always willing to see, hear, and understand your story. Please don't be afraid to share yours. Because hopefully one day we can all sit down together around the table that Jesus has prepared for us.
God Bless Always

 Written and created by My Mother Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 2024

  This September let us investigate Godly characteristics. What do I mean? Well, we all have a characteristic, attributes a feature that bel...