Thursday 16 June 2022

Memories of the Heart

 

Did you know that our heart contains a little brain composed of 40,000 neurons that can sense, feel, learn, and remember? I didn’t but as I conduct research on the sacred heart of Jesus, I am learning quite a lot about our human hearts.

Scientists have investigated in various psychological and physiological ways but what stood out was the heart rate variability and heart rhythms that reflected a person’s inner emotional states and stress. Research shows that our negative emotions can lead to an increased heart rhythms that can affect our nervous system and our whole body on the other hand positive emotions can increase and create peace and improve our heart rhythms and our nervous system. What scientists are more intrigued with is our hearts have a mind of their own and what seems to influence the way we see and respond to the world and to people who we interact with.

 

So, if our hearts have a brain how many memories do we keep in our hearts? What are our significant heart memories?

 

I have many memories from my heart my first kiss, my first date, my wedding day and my children who constantly fill my heart with love and joy. Another memory is those who were a part of my life but now have gone sadly and the life of Jesus which is always kept in my heart as this beautiful reminder of a life I should be building for myself and my family.

 

This weekend we celebrate the Most Holy Body and Blood of Christ (Corpus Christi) and this celebration we remember our Lord who is compassionate, merciful, he forgives sins and saves in days of distress Ecclesiasticus 2:11. Also, we remember what Jesus said “I am the bread of life” a life that is a source of spirituality, we shall never be hungry or thirsty again, but we do hunger and thirst again and again. It maybe hard to digest that when we assemble and come together to celebrate, we are celebrating Jesus who is a man, who is human and we celebrate his birth, his life, his death, his resurrection, and his intercessions. While it may be hard to swallow at times let us look straight at the heart of Jesus and see what he is feeling.

 

I can tell you what he was feeling, he was feeling love for all humanity despite the pain and suffering. The sacred heart of Jesus and the Holy Eucharist are one thing that expresses his great love which at times we take for granted because life can be so busy or we simply forget to spend time in prayer, or with scripture. In the back of my little brain heart, I hear “Do this in memory of me,” which I take to mean, come to me, and remember how I came to earth, I died on the cross for you to live your life. I sent my spirit for you, and I am as intimate to you as your own heartbeat, and I will always be with you. As you go on your journey, I will give you a taste of my love which maybe like the time you floated on your back in a pool and it was peaceful, all your worries and anxieties seeped from your body and soul.

 

Women of Faith and Hope, as you sit, read, and mediate on God this week know that he is inviting you to call on him, to cry out that you need him, need him to be faithful to you now. Sometimes, we don’t realize how close he is and it maybe possible that he is working in our lives in ways we don’t see or understand and that is what this weekend is about. What we eat and drink changes our lives in ways we don’t see or understand. Amaze us O Lord.

 

May God Bless Always, Women of Faith and Hope.

Written and created by My Mother Rose


No comments:

Post a Comment

September 2024

  This September let us investigate Godly characteristics. What do I mean? Well, we all have a characteristic, attributes a feature that bel...