Friday 20 January 2023

Reflections From my Pilgrimage Walk with Saint Mary MacKillop.

The Powerhouse Brisbane

 

The Customs House Brisbane

The Story Bridge Brisbane

The Powerhouse to The Custom House.

We arrived, parked the car, and strolled through the market area. Before we reached The Powerhouse, we stopped to listen to music, and brought some honey. After that we kept on walking where we brought some sourdough bread rolls and a pkt of strawberries to have on a picnic lunch.

Then we arrived and as I stood on the jetty I looked up and saw The Brisbane City Council Powerhouse building and I froze but I needed to capture the moment. I was standing where Mary Mackillop and five other sisters stood or walked on the 31st of December 1869 after traveling twenty-four days from Adelaide.

After capturing the moment, I pulled out my map that I printed off and tried to find where we took our next steps. However, I struggled to find where we were on the map but luckily enough, we had our phones, so we used Google to guide us. I suppose you could say, times have changed and it’s so much easier to be a pilgrim. It makes me wonder where Mary Mackillop got all that courage and confidence without the assistance of Google maps.  

Our feet were pointed in the right direction, and we set forth with our hearts opened on a journey of faith and hope we asked for Saint Joseph and Saint Mary Mackillop, to pray for us and we asked for God to bless us with strength, guidance, and patience. However, patience and guidance weren’t a virtue for some today it was quite the opposite. I am glad though that we took our beach trolley, and our children are light enough to still pull along and I am also very thankful for our phones.

We walked through the streets of New Farm and found our way to the Story Bridge, where I once climbed. As we stood in front of the story bridge, I could see in the distance the custom house and by this stage my feet were so sore, but I pushed on and we went down a lift and walked along the New Farm River Walk.

 After stopping and starting we finally arrived at The Customs House and standing out the front I was overwhelmed, it was quite daunting, but I remembered reading this remark made by Saint Mary Mackillop, 1867, “With God’s aid we shall get on and gain fresh strength and energy for the work.” Believe me that is what we did, we turned around and went back because after hearing “I am hungry,” “when is lunch.” I knew it was time to head back and reflect on our walk, our time together as a family and what I could do differently next time I walk the streets of Brisbane where Saint Mary Mackillop walked?

May God Bless Always. 

Written, Photos and created by Katie Robinson


No comments:

Post a Comment

September 2024

  This September let us investigate Godly characteristics. What do I mean? Well, we all have a characteristic, attributes a feature that bel...