Monday 26 December 2022

The Name Jesus



“When the eighth day came and the child was to be circumcised, they gave him the name Jesus, the name the angel had given him before his conception.”

Luke 2:16-21

When I was pregnant with my children, I remember how stressful it was to think of names for each of them. In this week’s Gospel that is not the case for Mary, the name Jesus has already been predestined and predetermined by God who is with us always.

Before I was pregnant, I had names already picked out and no one could change my mind even myself, I wanted to name my son Owen and my daughter Stephanie however they both ended up with different names so, obviously I changed my mind throughout the nine months of both pregnancies. I suppose that goes to show it’s not my plan but God’s plan, or fate or destiny’s plan for both my children. Especially when I think of my son because the night before I had him, I was watching the rugby league semifinals and I leant over to my husband and I whispered, “let’s reverse his name, his middle name can be his first name and his first name can be his middle name.”  And his name is perfect for him it means “priceless, flourishing or praiseworthy.” It also is a name that has strong Christian influence.

In fact, all our names have meaning, Katie is of Greek origin meaning ‘pure.’ Or Laura is of Latin origin meaning “the bay or a Laurel plant.” So, what does Jesus mean? Jesus, means savior, we read this in the last Sunday of Advent from Matthew 1:18-24 “she will give birth to a son, and you must name him Jesus, because he is the one who is to save his people from their sins.”

So, what is in a name? Do our names mean that we have a purpose? What is our purpose?

It is obvious that Jesus had a purpose and that was to save us from our sins.

Purpose is the reason something is done or the reason something exists. So, our names are very important, they are powerful, they define and identify who we are, our names matter remember that.

Proverbs 22:1

“A good name is more desirable than great wealth, the respect of others is better than silver or gold.”

When I think of the meaning of my name, I laugh a little because I don’t think myself to be pure. But I believe I am working on becoming pure by opening myself up more to God, drawing nearer to him in prayer and meditation.

Because like Mary, I would like to take the time to treasure all the things I hear and see and ponder them all in my heart. For, I know that I belong with Jesus, with Jesus I am home and at peace.

“From my sins turn away your face and blot out all my guilt. A pure heart create for me, O God, put a steadfast spirit within me

Psalm 50:11-12.”

You see God has blessed us with his mercy, he is gracious, and he has shed a light upon us. We will call his name, and we shall be blessed.

I used to worry that no one would remember me or know my name, but it doesn’t bother me anymore because what is important and what speaks to my heart is knowing that God knows my name, he calls me and you by name. To me that is a blessing and great news.

Isaiah 43:1

“Do not be afraid, for I have redeemed you; I know you by your name, you are mine.”

 

Now, will we remember the name of Jesus? Will we call down the name of Jesus?

Numbers 6:22-27

“The Lord spoke to Moses and said, ‘say this to Aaron and his sons. “This is how you are to bless the sons of Israel. You shall say to them.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

May the Lord let his face shine on you and be gracious to you.

May the Lord uncover his face and bring you peace.”

This how they are to call down my name on the sons of Israel, and I will bless them.’

The word of the Lord.

Thanks be to God.”

May God Bless Always, Women of Faith and Hope by My Mother Rose.

Written and created by Katie Robinson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 2024

  This September let us investigate Godly characteristics. What do I mean? Well, we all have a characteristic, attributes a feature that bel...