Monday 18 October 2021

Faith & Hope.

 


Last week we heard Jesus say to James and John, “what is it you want me to do for you?” This week we hear Jesus say to Bartimaeus a blind beggar and the son of Timaeus, “what do you want me to do for you?” I was torn between that question and the following of what Jesus says after, “Go, your faith has saved you.”

Mark 10:46-52

Imagine you are called over to Jesus after he has heard you shouting out “Son of David, Jesus, have pity on me.” Remember this is something you have hoped for, and he asks you, “what do you want me to do for you?” What are you thinking about? What is going through your mind? How are you going to respond?

Somehow through our trials and tribulations, sufferings, and persecutions we lose hope and our confidence in the Lord Jesus Christ, well I know I do and that’s ok I am human my faith and hope aren’t always perfect or strong and it’s not until we encounter or reach out that we are reminded of that same joy Bartimaeus experienced, finally the Lord had done great things for him, and his faith saved him.

I wanted to share something that has helped my faith and hope recently, so, I have felt quite distant and far from God especially when attending mass. I have a beautiful friend who shared two reflections and on the top of the pages I saw verses from the bible on each, so I looked them both up and I wanted to share one with you all.

Psalm 138:7-10

O where can I go from your spirit, or where can I flee from your face? If I climb the heavens, you are there. If I lie in the grave, you are there. If I take the wings of the dawn and dwell at the sea’s furthest end, even there your hand would lead me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, “let the darkness hide me and the light around me be night,” even darkness is not dark for you and night is as clear as the day.

I must admit when things get hard, I want to run, I want to take off move somewhere no one knows me, start over, and create new beginnings. You see I am very flighty; I am easily excited but then I am scared and frightened I ask you though not to hold that against me because when I choose to stay it takes a lot of strength and patience to be honest, I don’t like being tied down and when I decide I am ready to do so I will get anxious. I know where I go God will be there, if I hide God hides with me so, all I wanted to say is thank you God.

Sometimes I feel as though God answers when the time is right, I was watching The Song of Bernadette and her story reminded me of Bartimaeus. Last week when James and John asked to sit one at the right hand and one on the left in his glory, we heard Jesus explain how that could be possible if we were willing to serve and give our lives as ransom for many meaning with joy and faith in our hearts are we able to suffer greatly for Christ and for the conversion of sinners. Many saints such as Bernadette suffered greatly, and the key ingredient is to accept suffering with hope, faith, and shouts of joy!

St. Vincent de Paul said, “If we only knew the precious treasure hidden in infirmities, we would receive them with the same joy with which we receive the greatest benefits, and we would bear them without ever complaining or showing signs of weariness.”

St. Faustina in her diary wrote, “Oh, if only the suffering soul knew how much God loves it, it would die of joy and excess of happiness! Someday, we will know the value of suffering, but then we will no longer be able to suffer. The present moment is ours.”

Reading the Gospel story about Bartimaeus and getting to know a little about St. Bernadette it seems to me that knowledge and intellect are not so important, what is important is our understanding, our faith, and how opened the eyes of our heart are to see God in all his glory. Many who are sick still go to Lourdes some come back cured and some don’t, through grace we must accept our sufferings offer them lovingly up to the Lord asking with faith and then true healing can take place.

When Jesus asked Bartimaeus “what do you want me to do for you?” Bartimaeus, answering with faith “Master, let me see again.” Jesus said to him, “Go, your faith has saved you.” And immediately his sight returned. Now, are we able to answer the same question with faith, hope and joy? When our healing takes place will we thank the Lord, or will we give the credit to our faith? Remember our faith is a gift, and if we choose to follow in the footsteps of Jesus like Bernadette be prepared to accept all your sufferings that come from the hand of God.

Mark 10:46-52

May God Bless Always, Women of Faith and Hope

Written and created by My Mother Rose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

September 2024

  This September let us investigate Godly characteristics. What do I mean? Well, we all have a characteristic, attributes a feature that bel...